Guinea pigs, also called cavies, are friendly and pets that are inquisitive. Nevertheless, they require commitment and regular attention to ensure they remain healthy and pleased. Continue reading to learn just how to take care of your pocketful of sunlight.
Guinea pigs are ukrainian mail order bride sociable pocket animals, are often tamed, and that can live for approximately 10 years. Their friendly nature means they are great animals. They’re also really smart.
Guinea pigs are happiest whenever kept along with other guinea pigs. But, when you do keep women and men together, make certain both pets would be the exact same sex or at minimum one gender is desexed.
RSPCA NSW doesn’t suggest guinea that is keeping and rabbits together. Rabbits can give conditions to guinea pigs, in addition they may bully each other.
Guinea pigs are herbivores. To help keep them happy and healthy, they want:
- a consistent supply of high quality fresh lawn or grass hay, such as for example Meadow, Oaten, Pasture, Ryegrass, Timothy or Wheaten hays. This is really important for wearing straight down their teeth that are continuously growing.
- fresh, leafy vegetables and natural herbs each and every day, such as for example broccoli, cabbage (in lower amounts), celery, endives, Brussel sprouts, bok choy as well as other Asian greens, and lettuce that is dark-leafed; and natural herbs such as for instance basil, coriander, dandelion, dill, mint and parsley. Understand that carrot tops should simply be offered as a treat that is occasional.
- tiny degrees of top-quality guinea pig pellets. These need to have the absolute minimum content that is fibre of percent.
- A source that is daily of C, such as for example smaller amounts of citrus and kiwi fruits
- a consistent supply of clean, fresh water
Usually do not feed your guinea pig:
- breakfast cereals
- Clover or Lucerne (Alfalfa) hays
- yard bushes
- lily associated with the valley
- pea pea nuts
- onion grass
- potato tops
- natural beans
- rhubarb leaves
- spinich leaves
Guinea pigs require a lot of area to work out – the more the greater. She should work out each day in a large, grassy area, free and safe from predators.
You might like to offer your guinea pig with a chewing log made from untreated lumber to wear straight down her teeth, and overturned bins to disguise in.
Regular grooming is important for long-haired guinea pigs, and guarantees their coats stay in good shape. Regular managing will help build her also self- self- self- confidence, and encourage her to be friendly and sociable.
It’s also advisable to check out the duration of your guinea pig’s teeth and toenails. Should they are a long time, get the veterinarian to trim them.
Good cleansing and feeding methods may help avoid many health that is common, including respiratory infections and skin problems.
It is vital to pay for a flyscreen to your guinea pig’s hutch. Achieving this, along with maintaining her hutch clean, may help avoid flystrike. Long-haired guinea pigs are especially vulnerable to this disorder, that could be deadly.
Guinea pigs, similar to animals, will also be prone to fleas. Confer with your veterinarian about a flea that is appropriate if required. They might additionally have problems with mite infestations, that may cause disquiet, locks itchiness and loss.
This could be a sign of the fungal disease ringworm, so seek help from a veterinarian immediately if your guinea pig develops bald batches.
To learn more about typical health conditions, click on this link.
Your guinea pig’s enclosure ought to be a minumum of one metre by 0.7 metres, and 0.7 metres high. For those who have two guinea pigs, they will certainly require double this room. They are going to likewise require their very own, separate resting areas, which needs to be covered. You have to fly-proof the enclosure using flyscreen cable or mosquito netting, since this can help lower the threat of flystrike.
Line the hutch with newsprint and soft lawn hay to present padding and give a wide berth to foot accidents. Do not use sawdust, wood or straw shavings. Understand that your guinea pig requires a soft, clean, dry area all the time, or she will quickly develop base issues. Clean her enclosure that is entire regularly and her bedding when required – often as soon as just about every day.
Keep carefully the hutch in a sheltered area that is well ventilated, between 18-26°C, and kept away from sunlight and strong winds. She should always gain access to shade that is adequate.
Just click here to learn more about preventing heatstroke.